Causes of Tooth Pain – Toronto, ON
There are few things in life as intolerable as tooth pain. At The Art of Dentistry, Dr. Sol Weiss and his team of experienced dental professionals can provide immediate relief from tooth pain, as well as the exceptional restorative dentistry procedures necessary to reconstructing damaged teeth to their former glory. Patients emerge from treatment feeling great, with smiles that are as attractive as they are functional and healthy.
In addition to providing our patients with outstanding dentistry, Dr. Weiss educates patients about their oral health. By giving patients the information they need to maintain the health of their teeth and gums, he can help them to avoid the sort of excruciating tooth pain that drove them to seek treatment in the first place. He discusses the causes of tooth pain during appointments at his Toronto, ON cosmetic, restorative, and general dentistry practice, along with tips on how to avoid these sources of pain.
We encourage you to take a look at the top six causes of tooth pain, but please do not hesitate to contact The Art of Dentistry to schedule an appointment with Dr. Sol Weiss if you are currently experiencing tooth pain. There is no reason to live with tooth pain. Delaying treatment could lead to your dental problems becoming more severe, possibly even resulting in the loss of one or more of your teeth. Wouldn’t you rather relieve your pain and preserve the beauty of your smile?
The Top Six Causes of Tooth Pain
There are many possible causes of tooth pain. Some of these, such as injuries sustained in accidents, cannot be anticipated or avoided. However, others can be avoided with good oral hygiene regimens and healthy lifestyle choices. Here are the six top causes of tooth pain:
- Cavities: Clinically known as dental caries, cavities are the holes and crevices that form in teeth after the protective enamel layer has eroded or otherwise become damaged. The further a cavity penetrates a tooth, the more painful it is likely to be.
- Root canal infections: Your teeth are nourished by a substance called dental pulp, which is located within chambers called root canals. Each of your teeth contains between one and four of these root canals, which are normally sealed off. When a root canal is breached, the pulp within can become infected or inflamed, leading to excruciating pain.
- Gum disease: Periodontitis, the advanced form of gum disease, is marked by a pulling away of the gums from the teeth, resulting in loose teeth and probable pain. The space between the gums and teeth also leaves the teeth more vulnerable to harmful bacteria.
- Teeth grinding: Clinically known as bruxism, chronic tooth grinding can wear down the teeth and cause pain.
- Chips, cracks, and structural weaknesses: Any time a tooth is structurally compromised, the tooth can become painful.
- Orthodontic problems: Orthodontic problems such as misalignment, overcrowding, and malocclusion can all lead to tooth pain.
Learn More about Causes of Tooth Pain
To learn more about the various causes of tooth pain, and how we can relieve tooth pain through our exceptional dental treatments, please contact The Art of Dentistry today.