Traditional vs. Implant-supported Dentures
Traditional dentures have long been used to replace a full set of teeth, or all of the teeth in the upper or lower arch. Each set of traditional dentures is custom-made to fit each patient, and restore dental appearance and function almost instantly. Traditional dentures don’t require surgery, which is beneficial to those patients who are not healthy enough to withstand surgical procedures, or simply prefer not to undergo surgery. Some key points to consider in regard to traditional dentures include:
- No surgery is required
- Custom-made using impressions taken of the gums
- Requires the use of denture adhesives
- Unable to eat certain foods
- May slip and slide while eating and speaking
Implant-supported dentures offer more security than traditional dentures. Implant-supported dentures are attached to three to five surgically placed dental implants to prevent unwanted slipping or sliding. As with traditional dentures, the dentures are custom-made for each patient. The difference is that implant-supported dentures have metal studs or a bar that attaches to the dental implants.
The Benefits of Implant-supported Dentures over Traditional Dentures
Many patients prefer implant-supported dentures over traditional removable dentures for their secure, comfortable fit. Implant-supported dentures feel so natural, you’ll almost forget you have replacement teeth. There are many benefits of implant-supported dentures over traditional dentures, such as:
- No messy denture adhesives: Because implant-supported dentures attach to dental implants, no messy denture adhesives are required to ensure a secure fit.
- Firmly anchored: Implant-supported dentures are firmly anchored within the mouth, unlike removable dentures, which may shift out of place, even with denture adhesives.
- No slipping and sliding: Implant-supported dentures won’t slip and slide like traditional dentures.
- Natural feeling: Implant-supported dentures securely anchor within the mouth, providing a more natural feel than removable dentures.
- Comfortable: Implant-supported dentures won’t slip around and irritate the gums like traditional dentures, making them comfortable for daily wear.
- No food restrictions: With implant-supported dentures, you can eat all of your favorite foods – even corn on the cob.
- Slur-free speech: Traditional dentures may slip out of place when you are talking, causing slurred speech. Implant-supported dentures stay firmly in place so you can speak clearly.
- Easily removed for cleaning: In some cases, implant-supported dentures can be removed for cleaning and maintenance.
- Renewed confidence: Implant-supported dentures can restore your smile, providing a renewed sense of confidence.
Schedule a Consultation
Don’t wait any longer to enjoy the confidence and comfort implant-supported dentures can provide. To discuss your treatment options or find out if implant-supported dentures are right for you, we invite you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Weiss today.
Related article: Dental Bridges vs. Dentures: Restorative Dentistry for Missing Teeth