Toronto All-porcelain Dental Crown Benefits
Dental crowns can restore damaged teeth and improve dental appearance. There are different types of dental crown materials, including gold, porcelain-fused-to-metal, and all-porcelain dental crowns. All-porcelain dental crowns offer many benefits, making them a popular choice when it comes to dental crown treatment. Toronto cosmetic dentist Sol Weiss offers this explanation of the benefits of all-porcelain crowns.
What Are All-porcelain Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns are tooth-shaped restorations designed to completely cover a damaged or flawed tooth. As the name suggests, all-porcelain dental crowns are made entirely of porcelain. All-porcelain crowns are custom-made to match the surrounding teeth and fit perfectly within the patient’s mouth.
What Are the Benefits of All-porcelain Dental Crowns?
There are many benefits to all-porcelain dental crowns. All-porcelain dental crowns repair damaged teeth, protect teeth from further damage, and restore dental appearance. Some of the many benefits of all-porcelain dental crowns include:
- Natural appearance: All-porcelain dental crowns look more natural than gold or porcelain-fused-to-metal dental crowns. This is because all-porcelain dental crowns are completely tooth-coloured, allowing them to seamlessly blend with the surrounding teeth.
- No exposed metal edge: It’s quite common for a line of metal to peak out through at the bottom of porcelain-fused-to-metal dental crowns. Though this may not be noticeable at first, gum recession can leave some of this dark-coloured metal exposed. All-porcelain dental crowns use no metal so this is never an issue.
- Bio-compatible: All-porcelain crowns are more compatible with the surrounding gum tissue and teeth than other types of dental crowns. One reason why all-porcelain dental crowns are more compatible with the gums is that they are thinner than other types of crowns. This thinness allows the gum tissue to grow more closely around the dental crown, much like a natural tooth.
- No risk of an allergic reaction: In rare cases, some people are allergic to the materials used in porcelain-fused-to-metal dental crowns. All-porcelain crowns pose no risk of an allergic reaction, making them safe for most patients.
- Prevent further damage: Teeth that are broken, severely decayed, or have large fillings are prone to further damage. All-porcelain dental crowns offer the benefit of protecting teeth from further damage while restoring dental strength.
- Restore the appearance of damaged teeth: In addition to restoring dental strength and preventing further damage, all-porcelain dental crowns can improve the appearance of damaged or flawed teeth.
- Replace a missing tooth: An all-porcelain dental crown can be used to replace a single missing tooth when attached to a dental implant. This is a natural-looking tooth replacement option.
Find Out If All-porcelain Dental Crowns Are Right for You
Untreated dental damage can lead to more severe issues like tooth decay, painful root canal infections, and even tooth loss. All-porcelain dental crowns can make a significant difference in your oral health and keep your smile looking and functioning at its best for years to come. For more information about all-porcelain dental crowns, or to find out if you’re a candidate, we invite you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Weiss.
Related article: Porcelain Veneer Candidates